|
THERE WILL NEVER BE
another party like this.
THERE WILL NEVER BE
another party like this.
|
Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:26 PM
Something happened while at work today.It's the first time that I actually FLARED up at work!Here it goes.Today's am shift was R,S and K.2 staff nurses (like me) and 1 junior nurse.Most staff nurses will love it if they are working with another staff nurse, cause we will be helping each other out alot.And that's why, I totally don't understand what is going on in their mind today.R is the principal nurse today, S is assisting her.So during passing over report (to handover to me, the pm shift nurse).I was checking the changes.(Changes is what the doctors want to do for the patient, and where they write down what they want the nurses to follow up for the patient)So for patient 1,On the changes paper (aka treatment sheet), the patient's sticky label wasn't pasted onto the paper itself!It may seem very small thing to you, non-healthcare workers,But we know the importance.Cause imagine, the paper flew away, or someone dismantle the file.If the patient's sticky label, which contains the name and IC no is not on the paper,How you know which is which and this is for the correct patient?One example;Doctor wanted to write changes in the treatment sheet, but the paper was being used up.So he went to take another new sheet himself.He forget to file in nor paste the sticky label.And he wrote, "patient is for home today", and he just slot this paper accidentally to another patient's file instead.So you, as the nurse, happily think that this patient is for home, when it's supposed to be another!Imagine you already called the patient's family that patient is for discharged, you prepare everything, patient already changed her clothings, only to find out that she is not for home!I tell you, sure kanna complain like nobody's business!!!And the worst thing with nurse R, is that she went to acknowledge patient 1 changes in the treatment sheet.Meaning, she wrote her name and sign, and acknowledge the doctor's instruction for that particular patient!You could get a warning by not pasting sticky label, but you actually acknowledge it you know!(3 warnings will have disciplinary actions and will go into your black records)Next, for patient 2; the main reason for flaring today.Patient did not pass urine for more than 10 hours,And nurse R dare to acknowledge to me and tell me that patient did not pass urine!Our kidney secrete urine every hour.So by right, you should pass urine around 6 hourly.It may not be the case for you or something,But for our patient, we were being told by our protocol.If patient never pass urine (NPU) for more than 6 hours,We are supposed to do a bladder scan test, to scan how much urine the patient has in her bladder now.Cause you might not know, this patient might have some unknown kidney/bladder problems that don't allow her to pass urine even though she felt the urge.Renal patients that already have malfunctioned kidney, can don't even pass urine for 2 days or more, but not so for normal other patients!And guess what nurse R tells me?"Patient abdominal is soft and not distended, so bladder scan is not needed"WHAT THE FUCK!You thought your hands is the machine?You thought by touching the stomach you know whether patient can pass urine anot?!10 hours never pass urine lehs. YOU GO AND TRY LA.Cause if you felt the patient stomach, it can be soft now, but distended at the next minute, and the next thing you know, her bladder burst, she collapsed, she goes to ICU, and she might die.Don't believe me? Go google yourself.Healthcare workers understand the importance and seriousness of bladder bursting.So nurse R told me, that she will tell nurse S to do a bladder scan.After passing report, I went up to nurse S."So will you do the bladder scan?"She said,"Ya, I will do it later"Minutes later,I asked nurse S,"So did you do the bladder scan?"HIGHLIGHT, she said,"Patient actually never have any good oral intake for the whole day, so I just gave her a cup of water, later I will pot (bring patient to toilet etc, to make patient pass urine) the patient" I started to flare and say, "Hello, patient is on drip lehs, so what if she never drink?"(Drip meaning water is also being given to the patient through her veins)"And even if she pass urine now, you still need to do one bladder scan"For the third time,She replied, "Ya, I will do it"Why I said this? Cause you think about it LOGICALLY. If patient did not pass urine for more than 10 hours, and she passed later on, how do you know if it's her bladder that causing the problem?Meaning. She did not pass urine for 10 hours, then she pass now.Doing the bladder scan immediately she pass urine, is for you to assess, if she has anymore urine in her bladder. If she has alot of urine right after she passed, meaning, her bladder is not working! You got to insertion a catheter to drain out her urine!And after all this commotion,My junior nurses are the ones that pot patient, and make patient pass urine,The am nurses did nothing!It's like as if they don't care!!!So, even though I am so fed up,I patiently waited till 3.30pm, the exact time to be knock off.I went to patient's 2 casenotes, and check if anyone did the bladder scan.And guess what?THEY DID NOT. THEY FUCKINGLY DID NOT.Which in other words, I have to clean up their shit.Cause it's supposed to be them doing it during their shift, which in the end, I had to clear up their unfinished work for them!I got so fed up, that I headed straight to sister K, and told her what happened.She get someone to call nurse R and S out from the staff room, and "educating" them on the importance.I have no choice.Cause if patient were to collapse during my shift, and it's due to bladder burst or what,I've to answer to her family, write all nonsense reports, face the police/lawyer/court, if they were to lodge a complaint.It's me okay! Cause if the patient collapsed during my shift, it's my fucking problem, not them!And as expected, nurse S showed the super black face.HEY EXCUSE ME. YOU ARE MORE SENIOR THAN ME OKAY. YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW THE IMPORTANCE OF ALL THESE?AND YOU STILL FUCKINGLY DARE TO SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING ALREADY-SO-BLACK-FACE.YOU ARE A NURSE! A LIFE-SAVER! NOT TO KILL AND JEOPARDISE YOUR PATIENT'S LIFE!YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW NOBLE YOUR JOB IS?Nurse R, who is one batch later than me,However on the other hand, gave that shock face, like saying,"How come Queena's so angry etc"She is willing to learn and admit her mistake.I think after this incident,Everyone will start to get fearful of me.Seriously, working for almost a year in 9D,I HAD ENOUGH CLEARING THE MESS AND SHITS THAT MY FELLOW COLLEAGES PASSED TO ME.Because I am such a perfectionist, I always do finish my job, I hate to leave things for the next shift nurse to follow up, cause I know, I can do it.BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN I AM COMPETENT, YOU CAN PASS ALL YOUR SHITS TO ME.Heys, I am also a human okay.How come no one sees my point and pity me,But everyone is siding those who are wrong!!!2 main reasons for being so angry,Firstly, it's STUPID and purely NONSENSE by saying, "Patient abdominal is soft and not distended, so bladder scan is not needed"Secondly, I was being assured thrice, that someone will do the bladder scan.If they did not do it, doesn't it means that THEY ARE PURELY STUPID BY NOT KNOWING THE FACTS, AND JUST COULDN'T BE BOTHERED?Oh god. I am real pissed.And my colleagues only know me for less than a year.Cause I know, if clique/Rachel were to be the one facing my temper,They will feel my fire.But my colleagues just appear damn shock that I could be this angry.They just didn't know me that well perhaps.And don't get me started with patient 3.Another thing that just proves to me that you don't know your patients well.I seemed to know them better than you,When it's my first day taking care of them,And when you are supposed to pass report to me.I am always not bothered by people who wants to pass comments about me.Want to complain? Do so!Want to hate me? Fine!Want to sack me? Gladly!But the thought of working with them till I don't know when I or they want to resign,Makes me feel sick in the stomach.How to work and care for patients together hand in hand like that?PS: I am working with nurse S this Friday, if my memory did not fail me.KILL ME PLEASE. FUCK MY LIFE!I really need to say this out.Even after saying all of the above to,Ernies, Mainx, Corrine, Steph, Sister K, Mary Joy, Saleha, Jh, and my mother.It's just woman isn't it?We need to rant it all out!
Close
|
LIVE IT UP
and suck it up dude.
LIVE IT UP
and suck it up dude.
|
JUST LOSE YOURSELF
to the beat, yeah yeah yeah.
JUST LOSE YOURSELF
to the beat, yeah yeah yeah.
|